How is The Green Guardian™ Made?
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is a phrase many of us are familiar with. It makes sense for the planet. Today, recycled plastic bottles are used to produce many things like sleeping bags, carpeting, reusable plastic bags, and even clothing.
Each Green Guardian™ coat is made from the equivalent of 32 recycled plastic bottles. But how does this process work? How do plastic bottles become coats? The essence of this process is: collect, convert, create. The plastic bottles are first collected, then converted into a fabric. Finally, the fabric is used create the Green Guardian™ coat.
The Process To Create The Green Guardian™ Coat:
There is a lot more detail that goes into making a coat from recycled plastic bottles. Let’s dive a bit deeper.
- Plastic PET bottles are picked up at community recycling centers, then sorted by type and color.
- The labels and caps are removed from the bottles. Then the bottles are washed, crushed, and chopped into flake.
- The plastic flake is melted into different sized pellets.
- The plastic pellets are extruded to make fiber which is then cut, drawn, stretched, and baled.
- The baled fiber is then processed into fabrics which are used to create the Green Guardian™ coat.
The Green Guardian™ coat makes an immediate positive impact on kids and the planet. This year, Operation Warm will save 500,000 plastic bottles to create 15,000 Green Guardian™ coats.
Receive stories of warmth, confidence and hope and learn how you can help children in need. Join the Operation Warm monthly newsletter!
A Heartwarming Story of a School Nurse, a Little Girl and Two Coats
It is a privilege to work at Operation Warm, where we get to see heartwarming stories first hand, often while they unfold in front of us. Some heartwarming stories just…Read More
Pistons Forward, Jon Leuer, Gives Warmth, Confidence and Hope to Homeless Children in Detroit
To tip off the Detroit Pistons 2018 Season of Giving, the Pistons hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for Detroit residents at four local shelters. The celebration included a warm Thanksgiving meal,…Read More